Spring has arrived, meaning it is time to start cleaning up your house, gardening and preparing for summer! While these actions seem simple, an increase in such activities can be strenuous on your back. New Health Services believes spring cleaning is a necessity, but back pain isn’t—check out our three tips below to keep your house clean and back healthy!
- Always stretch! Stretching is always related to physical activity, but not always associated with cleaning. However, cleaning is still a physical activity that can potentially strain your muscles. It is best to do some quick stretch starting with your head and neck. Don’t forget to stretch after your work is done!
- Lift properly! Moving heavy equipment like garbage bags, soil, and even various cleaning tools can cause a lot of back strain. Always bend at your knees, not at the waist, use your glutes, squeeze your shoulder blades, and tighten your abdominal muscles. Remember NOT to twist your back at unhealthy angles. If the items are too heavy, don’t force yourself to get it done, ask for a little assistance!
- Break up the work & be aware of your body! Spring cleaning can be lengthy, so don’t attempt to get everything done at one time. Spread out your tasks over a few days (or even weeks) to avoid overworking your spine. Be aware of your body’s signals and know when you should take a break. Remember, all bodies are different and range in capability!
Other things to consider:
- Make sure all equipment is functional and up-to-date
- Don’t work on wet surfaces
- Clear away clutter before working
- When vacuuming, don’t twist or maneuver by extending only your arms. Use your full-body by using our legs to help move the vacuum.
Spring cleaning is a great way to freshen up your home and make it safer, but it can cause significant back pain. Always treat your body correctly to avoid needing treatment. If you or someone you know is experiencing pain, New Health Services is here to help manage both your physical and mental strains. Find out more about our comprehensive care plan by contacting us today: https://www.newhealthservices.com/contact-us/#top